A guide to Geocaching
Geocaching is an Any day, Any time Adventure, visit Amazing places or stay in your local area, millions of geocaches worldwide. Adventures are waiting for you everywhere.
Geocaching is an outdoor recreational activity, in which participants use a Global Positioning System receiver or mobile device and other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers, called "geocaches" or "caches", at specific locations marked by coordinates all over the world.
What is Geocaching
Geocaching is a sophisticated Treasure hunt using today technology.
Who is a Geocacher?
Geocachers are a unique community for treasure hunters who share information of caches hidden all round the world.
Ok so What is it?
Geocaching started as an old fashioned treasure hunt. People hide small boxes out in the environment and would then share their locations. People who then discovered them would place things inside for others to find.
With todays technology you can sign up to the Geocaching app on your mobile phone and your all set ready to go.
What do I need?
If you do a search online you will find many stores selling Geocache items and also guides on how to Geocache & many Personal blogs.
Are there rules?
- There are a few things Geocachers need to know
- Don’t let non Geocaches see you remove or put back a cache
- If you find treasure and take it Replace it for others to find
- Always put caches back where you found them
- Respect the Countryside
Tips on Geocaching
- Practise at home so you get used to it
- Carry a pen or pencil to sign the log book
- Log your find online when you get home
- Cant find the cache, take a look around the area where would you hide a cache
- Caches can be very small to a set of tweezers can help you find the log book
How to Start!
- Visit Geocaching.com and create an account online or through the Geocaching® app to view a map of geocaches near you.
- Use the app to navigate to a geocache nearby. Don’t forget to bring a pen!
- There are many types of Geocache in different sizes. Some are easy to find and some difficult. Its not always easy
- Once you find the cache, sign the log book, if you take the treasure trade it for one of yours, log your find online
- When your done put the geocache back where you found it
- Off you go to the next one.